Last week we spent two days bringing the boat from Hilperton Marine after a service. Not ideal weather – very cold but clear and crisp. And icy!!
The photos below were taken at the bottom of the Caen Flight, the notorious set of locks as you come into Devizes. We were very lucky, The flight is manned by volunteers and as we were the only boaters stupid enough to be out, we had dedicated help. Thanks, Canal and River Trust Volunteers. I was very grateful.
Finally finished my last two quilts for December and January. Getting my head round doing them proved difficult. Part of the problem was starting my piece for Bletchley Park’s exhibition at the end of February. The rest was sheer procrastination!
So here they are – first the December one which used provisional piecing which proved quite difficult on a small quilt.
And the final one for January this year – a single button with buttonhole quilting.
Now the burning question – do I do the challenge again this year? It is colour based this time, 4 months of red, 4 of yellow and 4 of blue. Also A4 which is a new format for me and won’t fit in my box of JQ’s.
I have had this small trial quilt sitting on a board for 2 months. It needed edging – it was too thick to face nicely and I wasn’t happy about binding it. I tried a Leslie Morgan suggestion to run 4 lines of stitching around the edge. It wasn’t working so it now has a zig zag edge which works. It needs to be mounted on a black canvas next.
The quilt has been made using Marie Roper’s improvisional piecing method – I love this technique. The centre has some of my art work that has been laminated. I did learn on this quilt which was meant to be bigger that laminated fabric should only have very gentle curves. There is no give in the laminated fabric so tight corners are unnecessarily difficult!