This is the first of my tree series quilts. I dyed 11 meters of fabric last summer using the “Fabric Dyer’s Dictionary” by Linda Johansen. It gave me a large quantity of fabrics that were emphatic with each other. I then spent a day at Committed to Cloth screen printing a thermofax of trees – a photo that I had take and adjusted.
I have made some small cushions from the pieces. I also pieced up three pieces and this is the first one to be quilted.
Photo is yellower than the actual quilt. I have some technic issues that I need to resolve on the next one. However, I am glad this one is done.
I have decided that more stitch is required on some of the pieces so my delivery has slowed up a bit – is that English! I also need to change colour or I will have 90% red and only a few in yellow and black.
My bluetit is now almost done. He needs a branch to sit on, a bit of PVA on the edges so they don’t fray any further and then mounting.
I have the next bird started – just the hand stitching done.
Better get back on the machine!!
Last night’s television exercise was hand stitching the first of a few poppy motifs. It was hard to stitch. The fabric is very stiff because it was mono painted with black acrylic full strength.
I like the poppy motif – it is easy to draw and can be very elegant if it has tall stems.
I like the threads that extend beyond the patch – not sure how I will be able to keep them when I assemble all the patches together.
Previewing the post, it is time to change my header photo and my background – they are too In your face!
From a very snowy Wiltshire. Keep warm and safe.
Three more patches – the one with yellow stitch may get more stitch later. It doesn’t look good enough yet.
This is a trial to see if I can write posts from Word and if it is easy to use.
Test photo – a previously used photo of scrimmy paper.
The patches with lots of detail are a real challenge but I am happy with this one, especially the wheels.
These little pieces are proving harder to sew than I thought – too many decisions. Some of them may need more stitch on them than they got to start with.
Pieces 5 and 6