I made my October Journal Quilt a couple of weeks ago and forgot to blog it.
The blue patterned pieces are paper I made as a result of Isobel Hall’s workshop. I wanted to see how it would piece together and if I could do a bigger quilt. Whilst this one looks fine, I am not convinced these lovely papers will make a large quilt that I am happy with. It won’t bend well in a machine and of course, you can’t really press the seams – I forgot that you can’t iron the paper – well, unless you want a very mucky iron!! So I will stick to using these papers for book covers.
Back to FMQ for November’s JQ. Yvonne and I had spent a couple of messy days large mark making, first on paper and then on fabric. The paper or fabric was on the floor and we had to work standing up – I got very messy feet!! The JQ uses the fabric which was done in black print paste dye. Unfortunately it is Kemtex’s black that washes blue – but I still like the results. They have a Japanese feel to them.
Not yet the end of unexpected results. I cut up the fabric into 6 by 11 inches patches and pieced it. My Juki had just come back from the “hospital” so I decided to try free motion quilting with it. I wish I hadn’t – it will never FMQ successfully as it jerks and pulls when you change direction – it is now off to the knacker’s yard. In case, you are considering a Juki, this is the Exceed F600 which is their most expensive domestic machine. I understand that the straight stitch only Juki is fine for FMQ. So I moved back onto my old Bernina to see if it was me – it is not. The FMQ I did with the Bernina is fine. Unfortunately, the large piece of fabric is now no good for a quilt so I have cut out a section of the Bernina stitched fabric to use for this month’s JQ.
Here it is:
Now I only have to do December’s …..
Have a good day